I. Name of position: Head of Mission
Expected length of employment: at least 12 months with possibility of extension (long-term cooperation preferred)**
Type of position: Full-time
Place of employment: Tbilisi, Georgia
Start date: as soon as possible
II. Organizational context
Caritas Czech Republic (CCR) is a non-profit organization that operates abroad in the context of humanitarian aid and development cooperation. It is a respected member of the Caritas Internationalis network. Its foreign activities focus on the health and social sectors and also on developing livelihood for the local population and education of children and adults.
In Georgia, we have been focusing on development activities since 2008, when the country programme started. Until 2014, we worked mainly through cooperation with local partner organizations. A year later, Caritas Czech Republic´s full-fledged mission was established in Georgia. In our development interventions in Georgia, we focus on social- and healthcare, social protection, rural development, and environmental protection.
The Head of Mission will be responsible for direct management of one of CCR projects and for the overall country program development.
Specific responsibilities are listed below.
- Direct project management
- Carry out overall management and coordination of the project (i.e. ensuring that the project results and objectives as per project documents are achieved within the given budget and time-plan);
- Plan activities and budget spending;
- Conduct regular onsite monitoring of projects activities;
- Conduct regular internal monitoring and evaluation of the project progress and outcomes (based on the project logframe) and propose modification of the projects design when needed;
- Manage the project team;
- Coordinate projects activities implemented by project partners and carry out their quality supervision;
- Carry out sub-deliveries´ management:
- Select external suppliers in line with CCR Procurement Manual
- Prepare respective contracts (in cooperation with a lawyer)
- Ensure that the quality of the goods / services delivered meet CCR requirements and the project needs
- Coordinate sub-contractors´ involvement in the project
- Perform following financial tasks (together with the Accountant/Financial assistant):
- Monitor the project budget spending (including the spending of implementation partners), and propose remedies in case of overspending or underspending
- Prepare budget forecast for current year
- Check eligibility of expenses incurred (whether they fit with the project design and real needs)
- Carry out reporting:
- Prepare internal reports on important project events, incidents etc. (in line with CCR manual)
- Update regularly HQ Desk officer on the project progress and challenges
- Draft narrative reports in line with the donors´ requirements
- Participate in preparation of financial reports for donors (providing clarification to Mission Accountant and HQ Financial Coordinator etc.)
- Ensure PR and visibility of the project, donors and CCR in line with the respective donors´ requirements;
- Identify and appropriately address problems that arise during the project implementation;
- Ensure transparent and structured keeping of projects documents (internal reports, contracts, materials produced by the project, sources of indicators verification etc.) in line with given guidelines.
Strategic development of CCR country program:
- Formulate and update the CCR country strategy;
- Develop the CCR country portfolio, including, but not limited to, securing new funding;
- Monitor socio-economic, political and security situation in the country leading to the identification of existing and emerging needs;
- Keep abreast of donors’ strategies, develop strategic partnerships with donors and present CCR country strategy and achievements;
- Provide leadership in formulating project proposals in line with the country context and CCR country strategy.
General management and coordination:
- Carry out overall management of the country team in line with the CCR internal regulations;
- Ensure quality controls are in place in all CCR country projects;
- Coordinate with the country and HQ team to ensure the mission fulfills all in-country legal requirements;
- Participate in regular visits of field activities;
- Provide support to and oversight of local partnerships in line with technical and ethical regulations of CCR (including but not limited to regular meetings with partners);
- Provide regular update on the progress of the mission to the CCR HQ.
Human resources management:
- Provide administrative oversight of human resource management in the country team;
- Support professional development of CCR country team;
- Adopt and encourage a pro-active approach to identifying, addressing and resolving HR-related issues in a transparent and positive way;
- Plan and provide oversight of the recruitment of new country team personnel, including permanent staff, volunteers and technical consultants.
- Regularly review the mission cash flow;
- Ensure procurement policies are followed at all times as per the CCR Procurement Manual.
- Participate in relevant coordination meetings;
- Develop relationships with important stakeholders (donors, public authorities etc.);
- Update the Embassy of the Czech Republic and other important actors about current and planned activities;
- Ensure visibility of CCR country program.
- Proven experience in managing a team;
- Experience of working in development and/or humanitarian setting in a leadership position;
- Track record of managing relations with a variety of donors;
- Experience in project proposal development;
- Excellent communication skills in English (oral and written);
- Strong leadership, analytical/critical thinking and problem-solving skills;
- Working knowledge of Russian language.
- Technical background in health care and / or social services;
- Experience of working in the post-Soviet region;
V. What we offer
- Career development in a value-driven professional organization, suitable especially for dynamic professionals;
- Opportunity to apply and further develop creative and independent working approach;
- Gross monthly remuneration negotiable, with potential future increase in case of significant results;
- 25 days of paid leave / year, in addition to official public holidays;
- In case of expatriate staff:
- Per diem
- Housing allowance
- Travel health insurance
- 2 return flights per year to home country
- Access to training opportunities
VI. How to apply
Qualified candidates may send their applications to the following e-mail address email@example.com. The application must include a brief motivation letter, not longer than 1 page, and a maximum 4-page CV or resume. Please type “Head of Mission Georgia" in the Subject.
The deadline for submission is June 10, 2022. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
The applications are reviewed on a continual basis and a suitable candidate may be hired before the deadline.
Apply for the vacancy